Advanced search

Washington > Consular Section > Stay less than 90 days in Luxembourg - Short Stay Visas >

Stay less than 90 days in Luxembourg - Short Stay Visas

In order to enter Luxembourg lawfully, the third-country national, other than to hold a valid passport and, if need be, the required visa, must fulfill the following conditions;

  • not be reported to the Schengen Information System (SIS);
  • not have been refused entry on the territory;
  • not be considered a danger to the public order, the national security, the public health or international relations of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg or of one of the Member States that is part of an international Convention regulation the crossing of external borders and that is linked to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg;
  • justify the reasons for and conditions of the planned stay and give proof of sufficient personal resources for the duration of the planned stay and for the return to the country of origin, or the transit to a third-country in which his/her admission is guaranteed (or give proof of the ability to legally acquire the means to do so) and arrange for health insurance covering all risks on the territory.

The third-country national who satisfies to the above conditions has the right to reside in Luxembourg for up to 90 days in any 180 days period of time - see Short Stay Calculator.

To find out if you need a visa to enter the Schengen area and Luxembourg:

A valid passport with a visa is required for citizens of certain countries and they may apply for a visa with our Consulates in the USA provided that they have a valid US visa - six months beyond the date of return to the USA, or are Lawful Permanent Residents of the USA - green card holders. A green card determines your immigration status in the USA, however it does not exempt you from the obligation to apply for a Schengen visa. The list of countries submitted to the visa obligation is published here .

A short stay visa does not permit the carrying out of a profit-making or remunerated activity.

Any stay for which the aim is the pursuit of a profit-making or remunerated activity, including paid or unpaid training placements, is subject to first obtaining a provisional residence permit from the Immigration Service .

Short stays for studying purposes are subject to first obtaining a permit from the Immigration Department

The following are exempt: 

  • Foreigners travelling with ...
    o ... a United Nations permit,
    o ... identity papers issued by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe,
    o ... a permit for European Union personnel,
    o ... a permit issued by the Customs Cooperation Council.
  • Flight crew with a licence or certificate issued in accordance with the International Air Services Transit Agreement signed in Chicago on 7th December 1944.
  • Refugees with a valid travel permit issued in accordance with the Geneva Convention of 1951 by one of the following countries: Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Norway, The Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
  • Travellers on a school list drawn up by a Member State of the European Union for a school trip to Luxembourg.
  • Civilian crew members on the Rhine if they hold a travel document containing a trilingual stamp or comment identifying them as Rhine boatmen in accordance with the resolutions of the Central Commission for the Navigation of the Rhine.
  • Foreign nationals with a residence permit issued by Schengen States which allows free circulation in other Schengen states together with a valid travel document.

N.B.: Some of the documents mentioned in this section are not recognised by all of the States which have signed up to the Schengen agreement. If you have to pass through another Schengen State to get to Luxembourg you should contact the authorities of that State to find out about the validity of your travel document.