Advanced search

Washington > Visas - Passports - Consular Assistance > Stay less than 90 days in Luxembourg - Short Stay Visas >

Stay less than 90 days in Luxembourg - Short Stay Visas

Any visa questions are to be submitted by e-mail only. We take no visa questions on the phone.

A third-country national who wishes to stay for less than 90 days or transit through Luxembourg must:

  • before entering the country:
    • be in possession of a valid passport - at least six months beyond the date of return to the USA;
    • for persons subject to visa requirements in order to enter Luxembourg: apply for a visa (short stay);
  • after entering the country:
    • either make a declaration of arrival in their new commune of temporary residence;
    • or complete an accommodation form at the establishment where he is staying (hotel, bed & breakfast, etc.).

Who is concerned

Third-country nationals (i.e. nationals from a country which is not an EU Member State or a country treated as such - Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) are concerned if they wish to reside in Luxembourg for less than 90 days over a 6-month period for:

  • touristic or family visits (without undertaking work);
  • business trips.

All third-country nationals who wish to work in Luxembourg during their period of stay of less than 90 days must first apply for a work permit at the Direction of the Immigration–

This is concerning work that is actually paid by a Luxembourg employer located in Luxembourg - it does not concern a business trip with purpose of attending meetings, conferences, products presentation, etc. A Luxembourg company that would contract a service with a US company that is billed by the US company to the Luxembourg company, the technician who would provide the service is not considered as working, and will not need a work permit either.

Specific case: a third-country national wishing to come to Luxembourg to get married

There is no specific provision for entering the country in order to get married. Third-country nationals wishing to marry a third-country national legally residing in Luxembourg must follow the usual procedures for a short stay. If necessary, they must also apply for a short-stay visa, and must meet the conditions for entry and for a short stay.


Third-country nationals who are not US citizens must, before coming to Luxembourg present:

A valid passport with a visa is required for citizens of certain countries and they may apply for a visa with our Consulates in the USA provided that they have a valid non-immigrant US visa, or are Lawful Permanent Residents of the USA - green card holders*. All documents, passport, non immigrant US visa, or Legal Permanent Resident card must be valid at least six months beyond the date of return to the USA

*A green card determines your immigration status in the USA, however it does not exempt you from the obligation to apply for a Schengen visa.

Remark: Third countries nationals who are in the USA on a B1/B2 visitor/business visa are not eligible to apply for a Schengen visa to Luxembourg. They are kindly invited to do so from their home country.

In order to lawfully enter Luxembourg territory, in addition to holding a valid passport and a visa where required, third-country nationals must meet the following conditions:

  • they cannot be listed in the Schengen Information System (SIS);
  • they cannot have lost the right to enter Luxembourg territory;
  • they cannot be considered as a threat to public order, national security, public health or international relations of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg or of one of the signatory States of an international convention on the crossing of external borders and binding the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg;
  • they must be able to prove the object and conditions of the intended stay;
  • they must possess sufficient personal resources, for the duration of the intended stay as well as for the return to the country of origin or the transit to a third country in which their admission is guaranteed (or prove the possibility to lawfully acquire these means);
  • they must have comprehensive health insurance valid in Luxembourg.

The third-country national who satisfies to the above conditions has the right to reside in Luxembourg for up to 90 days in any 180 days period of time - see Short Stay Calculator.

To find out if you need a visa to enter the Schengen area and Luxembourg: The list of countries submitted to the visa obligation is published here.

The following are exempt: 

  • Foreigners travelling with ...
    o ... a United Nations permit,
    o ... identity papers issued by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe,
    o ... a permit for European Union personnel,
    o ... a permit issued by the Customs Cooperation Council.
  • Flight crew with a license or certificate issued in accordance with the International Air Services Transit Agreement signed in Chicago on 7th December 1944.
  • Refugees with a valid travel permit issued in accordance with the Geneva Convention of 1951 by one of the following countries: Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Norway, The Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
  • Travelers on a school list drawn up by a Member State of the European Union for a school trip to Luxembourg.
  • Civilian crew members on the Rhine if they hold a travel document containing a trilingual stamp or comment identifying them as Rhine boatmen in accordance with the resolutions of the Central Commission for the Navigation of the Rhine.
  • Foreign nationals with a residence permit issued by Schengen States which allows free circulation in other Schengen states together with a valid travel document.

N.B.: Some of the documents mentioned in this section are not recognized by all of the States which have signed up to the Schengen agreement. If you have to pass through another Schengen State to get to Luxembourg you should contact the authorities of that State to find out about the validity of your travel document.