Bourglinster Castle is located in the village of Bourglinster in central Luxembourg, about 10 miles to the east of Luxembourg City.
The castle was first mentioned in 1098 as belonging to St Simeon of Trier. At the time, the castle consisted of a residential tower, a chapel and a rampart.
The spouses Beatrice Linster and Thierry de Fontoy, Seneschal of Luxembourg, received the castle as a fief of the Countess Ermesinde of Luxembourg in 1231. From the 2nd half of the 14th Century, the family of Orley lived in the castle. From this period date the conversion of the chapel and the construction of a tower keep on the north side.
In 1421 the castle became a 'Ganerbenburg', which meant that it was owned and lived in by several noble families: the Orley, Hammerstein, Bettstein, Waldeck and Metzenhausen. All the rules of this joint ownership were laid down in a 'Burgfrieden', a Castle Peace.
In 1477 Henry of Metzenhausen married Mary Antonetta Boos of Waldeck, heiress to a part of Linster. In 1527 Dietrich of Metzenhausen, governor of the Duchy of Luxembourg, married Joan of Orley, and Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, gave him Bourglinster along with the high judiciary as a fief. Between 1542 and 1544, during the wars between Charles V and King Francis I of France, both parts of the castle were largely destroyed.
As of 1548, the construction of the Renaissance wing on the south side had begun, keeping a wall of the residential tower. Between 1682 and 1684, French troops attacked and destroyed parts of the castle. Almost all the buildings of the lower castle were demolished in the late 17th century.
During the 2nd quarter of the 18th Century, the baroque facade at the back of the courtyard was erected. Around 1850 the castle was sold by its last noble inhabitants and was transformed into a farm. In 1968 the castle was bought by the State of Luxembourg and was restored. Bourglinster Castle now houses an exquisite restaurant and is a venue for receptions, exhibitions, concerts and other cultural events.