Bourscheid Castle is located near the village of Bourscheid in north-eastern Luxembourg. It is situated on a steep promontory, perched nearly 500 feet high above the Sauer river and accessible only from the northwest.
Around the year 1000, a wooden fort was transformed into a stone-built castle. Excavations have identified structures of Roman, Merovingian, Carolingian and Ottonian origin. The outer wall, fortified with eight towers, was completed in 1384. At the same time House Stolzembourg, a magnificent Gothic manor house with a vaulted cellar, was built. The main gate of the castle is protected by an outer fence, by the powerful artillery bastion flanked by four towers, and by a moat which was secured by a drawbridge.
The lords of Bourscheid, who lived in the castle at the time, belonged to the most respected chivalric families in the region. Loyal vassals of the Duke of Luxembourg, they also were his counselors and fought at his side during armed conflicts. When the last Lord of Bourscheid died without descendants in 1512, his heirs set up three different living quarters in the castle; the von Metternich family in the old palace and the castle keep, the Zant of Merl family in the lower part of the upper castle and the von Ahr family in the House Stolzembourg.
The Bourscheid Castle ruins were classified in 1936 as “historical monument” and acquired by the Luxembourg Government in 1972. Since then, House Stolzembourg and the porter's lodge have been rebuilt and the towers have been reroofed. The restoration works are ongoing. The castle's night illuminations create a fabulous atmosphere.